See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, including
a list of University contact information at semo.edu/covid19.
Creating content, establishing contacts and maintaining connections with an ever-changing
audience is the key to working in today’s media industry. Southeast’s Department of
Mass Media prepares students to enter this fast-paced field through a combination
of innovative curriculum design, access to dedicated faculty who successfully combine
both professional skill sets and academic credentials, and experiential learning opportunities.
Students select from one of four options to specialize in: advertising, multimedia
journalism, public relations, or TV/film.
The Department of Mass Media is one of the largest on Southeast’s campus and is one
of 119 programs nationwide that is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education
in Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC).
What You'll Do
- Interact with qualified, veteran advertising professionals in a small class environment.
- Obtain real-world experience working as graphic designers, digital media strategists,
marketing sales staff and brand communication managers for Southeast’s award-winning
student newspaper, The Arrow.
- Gain proficiency in the areas of advertising strategy, research, design, writing,
digital and social media, and campaign planning for online, print and broadcast media.
- Develop multimedia production skills using industry-standard software.
- Have opportunities for professional development through career shadowing, mentoring
programs and internships to prepare for career options in corporate advertising and
marketing departments, digital media platforms, advertising agencies, advertising
media planning, graphic communication and media industries.
What You'll Study
- MC101 Mass Communication and Society
- MC301 Mass Communication Theory & Research
- MC211 Advertising and Society
- MC310 Advertising Analysis and Strategy
View College Page