This option is for students preparing to apply for admission into a physician assistant
program. Physician assistants are in demand. The profession is one of the fastest
growing in the country due to the shortage of primary care physicians, as well as
economic pressures on health care costs. The required and supporting courses are typically
required for admission into physician assistant programs.
What You'll Do
- Meet with their advisor each semester to assess their progress towards admission to
a professional school.
- Take a core of courses that prepares them in any area of biology.
- Take rigorous coursework in anatomy and physiology and molecular genetics which are
required for most MMS schools.
- Select additional electives in virology, immunology, pathogenic bacteriology, epidemiology,
health physics, and toxicology.
- Complete 80 hours (for 2 credit hours) of experiential learning, usually shadowing
doctors and nurses.
- Complete additional coursework in medical terminology, psychology, chemistry, physics,
and mathematics to make them competitive for admission to MMS schools.
- Attend classes in the renovated Magill Hall furnished with modern equipment.
What You'll Study
- BI163 Evolution & Ecology
- BI173 Cell & Organismal Biology
- CH186 Foundations of Inorganic Chemistry
- HL113 Medical Terminology
View College Page