See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, including
a list of University contact information at semo.edu/covid19.
This option is designed for the student who is preparing to do graduate work in this
area or seek full-time employment in this field. Employment may be found with national
and state conservation and resource management agencies, park services, environmental
consulting agencies, and zoological parks, among others. This option includes course
work to be taken at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory (GCRL) or another comparable
What You'll Do
- Meet one-on-one, with their advisor, Dr. Michael Taylor or Dr. Timothy Judd, each
semester to assess their progress in the program and toward their post-graduation
- Take a core of courses that will prepare them for any area of biology.
- Take rigorous coursework in marine biology, marine ecology, invertebrate zoology and
animal biology, which will prepare them for advanced study or employment.
- Select additional option courses in plant biology or microbiology, aquatic ecology,
management of wildlife populations, ichthyology, conservation biology and more.
- Take at least one course at a marine laboratory such as the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory.
- Be required to complete 80 hours of experiential learning, usually in field studies
- Complete additional course work in oceanography, physics, organic chemistry and calculus
in order to qualify them for employment.
- Attend classes in the newly renovated Magill Hall furnished with state-of-the-art
- Have access to the Miller Reserve Wetlands Restoration project, the Kelso Wildlife
Sanctuary and the Reis Biological Research Station.
What You'll Study
- BI163 Evolution & Ecology
- GO320 Oceanography
- BI434 Marine Evolutionary Ecology
- ZO310 Animal Biology
View College Page
Request InfoApply NowView Degree Map
Previous Degree Maps
Internships & Career Opportunities
- Aquarium Technician
- Biological Oceanographer
- Conservation Agent
- Field Technician
- Laboratory Assistant
- Marine Biologist
- Marine Fisheries Biologist
- Marine Mammal Trainer
- Park Service Naturalist
Graduate School Opportunities
- Southeast Missouri State University
- University of Southern Mississippi
- University of Puerto Rico
- Miami Seaquarium
Costs at Southeast