Founded in 1873
- Southeast’s main campus and River Campus are located in Cape Girardeau, Mo.
- Regional campuses are located in Sikeston, Malden, Kennett and Perryville.
- The population of Cape Girardeau County is approximately 74,000.
- The size of the main campus is 328 acres.
Enrollment (Fall 2013)
- Undergraduate enrollment is 10,755; graduate enrollment is 1,162.
- Student population is 58% female/42% male.
- Multicultural population percentage is 16%. The percentage increases to 24% when including international students.
- There are 951 international students from 56 different countries studying at Southeast.
- 78.8% of the students are from Missouri. Out-of-state students represent almost all 50 states, with the largest out-of-state representation being from Illinois.
- Average age of undergraduate students is 22.
- Residential student body is approximately 3,000.
- Ratio of women to men is 1.36:1.
Academics (Fall 2013)
- The average ACT score is 23 and the average cumulative GPA is 3.3 for full-time freshmen.
- The average freshmen class size is 30-35 students.
- The student-to-faculty ratio is 21-to-1.
- Southeast offers more than 200 areas of study.
- Approximately 1,530 courses offered each semester
- More than 250 online courses are offered
- Southeast offers more than 30 study-abroad options.
- The average freshman-to-sophomore retention rate is 72.6%.
- The average four-year graduation rate is 27.8%; five-year 47.1%; and six year 48.5%.
- The vast majority of courses are taught by full-time faculty with doctoral degrees.
Colleges and Schools
- Southeast has five academic colleges: Donald L. Harrison College of Business, College of Education, College of Health and Human Services, College of Liberal Arts and College of Science, Technology and Agriculture.
- Southeast has four schools: School of Extended Learning, School of Graduate Studies, School of University Studies & Academic Information Services, and Earl and Margie Holland School of Visual and Performing Arts.
- Students may choose from 12 residence halls and nine dining venues. A 13th hall will open in Fall 2014.
- There are more than 150 student organizations
- 25% of students are members of Greek social fraternities and sororities.
- More than 2,500 students participate in intramural sports or sports clubs.
- Two recreation centers and the Student Aquatic Center are available for students.
- Southeast competes in NCAA Division I, Ohio Valley Conference athletics.
- Men’s sports are baseball, basketball, cross country, football and track (indoor/outdoor).
- Women’s sports are basketball, cross country, gymnastics, soccer, softball, tennis, track (indoor/outdoor) and volleyball.
- Southeast’s mascot is Rowdy the Redhawk, and the school colors are red and black.
- The Redhawk football team was the 2010 Ohio Valley Conference Regular Season Champion.