Celebrating musical excellence on the campus of Southeast Missouri State University since 1957, the Golden Eagles Marching Band has thrilled audiences throughout the United States and now abroad! During its history, the Golden Eagles have performed for audiences for many National Football League teams, including the St. Louis Cardinals, the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Falcons, and the Indianapolis Colts. In addition, the band has performed for two NFL Pro Bowl Football Games and one NFL Super Bowl.
The Golden Eagles have been one of the most televised university marching bands in the United States. Most recently the Golden Eagles performed at the prestigious Edinburgh Military Tattoo in Edinburgh, Scotland as only the second United States university marching band ever to be invited to perform at the Tattoo.
The Golden Eagles Marching Band was in Scotland during August 2008 for a return engagement at the world renowned Edinburgh Military Tattoo. During this 5-week musical production, the band performed over 30 times. The Golden Eagles were seen live by over 217,000, and in a BBC broadcast to the entire United Kingdom by over 10 million, and world-wide by an estimated 100 million viewers. To learn more about this trip, please view the special section on our Web site.
The Golden Eagles Marching Band provides educationally sound and musically fulfilling experiences. They perform at all home football games, and at selected high school marching band festivals, including the 2007 and 2009 Greater St. Louis Marching Band Festival held in the Edward Jones Dome and the Potosi Invitational in 2008. The Golden Eagles is one of seven bands in the Department of Music at Southeast Missouri State University. Students in these ensembles represent virtually every academic area on campus and consistently maintain high academic and musical standards.
Our new Golden Eagles President for 2012 is Tim Hanak. Student Assistants are Wade Aldridge and Bart Pittman. If you interested in joining the Golden Eagles, please contact Dr. Martin Reynolds by email or by phone 573-651-2334.
Golden Eagles Scholarship
All students who are members of the Golden Eagles will receive scholarship monies as follows:
- 1st year member stipend - $500
- 2nd year member stipend - $650
- 3rd year member stipend - $750
- 4th year member stipend - $1000
ALL STATE BAND MEMBERS: As a member of the Golden Eagles, you will receive a $1000 stipend (total) each year you are enrolled! You need to be selected by audition to either the Missouri All State Band (or adjacent states), Missouri All State Jazz Band, Missouri All State Orchestra (winds and percussion only), and show proof of your membership to obtain this scholarship. All State alternates or honorable mention do not qualify for this award.
All Golden Eagles scholarships are contingent on GPA as each student must maintain an overall 2.0 GPA to remain eligible. To join the Golden Eagles, please download, complete and return this application.
Golden Eagles Drum Major Auditions
- The candidate must be a member of the Golden Eagles for a minimum of one season prior to the audition.
- Audition Application form (submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by the designated deadline).
- Conducting Patterns: 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4 (3/2 & 2/3).
- Required Music: National Anthem (provided by the Director).
- Candidates choice--minimum of 1 minute, max of 2 minutes in length.
- Marching Fundamentals Attention Mark Time (low, high) Drag Turns (left, right, full) Forward March (8 to 5) Back March (8 to 5) Lateral Slide (left, right) Flanks (left, right).
- Vocal Commands Attention Mark Time Drag Turn (left, right, full) Forward March Back. March Lateral Side (left, right) Flanks (left, right) Halt.
- Whistle Commands (provide your own whistle): Attention, Forward March, Halt.
- Interview with the Director.
- Drum Major Clinic/Tryout Preparation Session typically held one week prior to the audition (this is an optional event for those interested in auditioning, but it is recommended).