December 2, 1997
MINUTES OF ACADEMIC COUNCILApproved as corrected 3/3/98
- Holt, presiding, Buckenmeyer, Buis, Caskey, Dahiya, Gong, Hinni, Jones, Kogge, McGowan, Nahikian-Nelms, Skelton, Zink
- Eleanor Duff, Phil Parette
B. Action Items
- Credit Hours for Block Experiences in Elementary, Early, and Special Education: Duff proposed to award credit hours for block experience in Elementary, early, and Special Education. McDougall moved and Caskey seconded approval. The motion passed unanimously.
- Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MATESOL): McGowan moved and Nahikian-Nelms seconded approval. This proposal will replace the TESOL options on MA in English with an MA in TESOL and permit offering the entire degree off campus. The motion passed unanimously.
- Critical Thinking Testing Requirements: Hinni proposed to require a nationally normed test of critical thinking for all students in US4XX classes. McDougall moved and Buckenmeyer seconded approval. Discussion centered around promoting and evaluating the test. The motion passed unanimously.
- Computer Competencies for Entering Students: Hinni presented a statement of computer competencies for entering students to be distributed to entering students for informational purposes. Hinni stated that a broad approval of these competencies has been obtained from the CSTL Technology Associates and a University Studies faculty committee. The competencies represent skills that students should have before the end of their first semester. McDougall suggested modules that students could take based on a self-assessment. There could be voluntary tutorials or homework assignments. Gong moved and Dahiya seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.