The BA in Theatre gives students the most broad-based education and training in theatre amongst all the degree programs offered. It allows students a wide range of flexibility to explore any and all aspects of theatre arts they might find interesting, from performance to design to technical production. The degree also combines a theoretical and analytical approach to understanding theatre with a practical approach through participation in Rehearsal and Production class. The degree also gives a student an adequate background to begin a pursuit in the professional theatre world if they so choose.
Additionally, the degree program offers to students an opportunity to combine their theatre training with another discipline or area of study in order to prepare for careers not specifically within the professional world of theatre. Students, for example, may combine a BA in Theatre with a minor in Fine Arts Entrepreneurship to prepare careers in administrative and management fields of theatre. Students might also combine a BA in Theatre with a double major in Creative Writing to prepare for a career as a playwright or screenwriter. Another possibility is to double-major in Film/Television Production to fully prepare students for careers in these fields.
Finally, a BA in Theatre is the best preparation for students interested in continuing their studies to the M.A. and Ph.D. level.
The following are the learning outcomes for the Bachelor of Arts in Theatre:
· To acquire a broad range of knowledge and skills in the area of theatre arts within a liberal arts context;
· To demonstrate familiarity with a wide variety of dramatic literature;
· To gain experience in all practical applications of theatre arts, including performance, technical, and design;
· To demonstrate an understanding of the major aesthetic theories within theatre arts in the areas of performance and design; and
· To critically analyze a theatrical production in all aspects, including performance, technical and design.