BFA - Musical Theatre Performance Major
BACHELOR OF FINE ARTS IN THEATRE – MUSICAL THEATRE
The BFA in Musical Theatre is a performance-based professional degree designed to develop and hone skills in acting, singing, and dancing.
Musical Theatre majors participate in a three-year acting sequence (2 semesters of Acting I, and 2 semesters of Acting II, and 2 semesters of Musical Theatre Performance), as well as Auditioning and Senior Portfolio, plus a minimum of 18 hours of voice/music and a minimum of 10 hours of dance technique.
Seniors in the BFA Musical Theatre program participate in the Senior Showcase, with the possibility of qualifying for the Southeast New York Showcase. The campus showcase is designed to showcase their talent and serves as a capstone project for the degree, while the NY Showcase presents graduating seniors to the industries’ top casting directors, agents, directors, and other professionals.
The learning outcomes of the BFA Musical Theatre Program are:
• Demonstrated ability to act; projecting one’s self believably in word and action into imaginary circumstances using a developed acting technique.
• Demonstrated ability to project the voice and body effectively as an instrument of creative characterization using developed voice and movement techniques.
• Demonstrated ability to create characters convincingly and perform vocally in various musical theatre styles.
• Demonstrated ability in various musical theatre dance techniques.68-75 Hour Major - No Minor Required
- All students wishing to advance in the program must earn a grade of "C" or better in all courses within the BFA program.
- All students must maintain a G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher within the BFA program.
- All students wishing to advance in level will be required to successfully complete an annual jury as arranged by department faculty.
|Total credits required for graduation:||120|
|General Education:Total credits||48|
|Major requirements: Total credits||68-75|
Department Core Requirements:
|TH/DA 105||Rehearsal & Production I (1 credit x 2 semesters)||2|
|TH/DA 305||Rehearsal & Production II (1 credit x 6 semesters)||6|
|TH/DA 498||BFA Project||2|
|TH 218 or
|Acting I or
Acting for the Non-Major
(Optional only for Dance & Design-Tech emphasis)
|TH 231 or
|Stagecraft I or
Theories of Music in Culture
|TH 251 or
|Costume Construction or
Theory Skills and Analysis for Musical Theatre
DA 280 or
Movement Analysis or
|DA 330 or
TH 385 or
|Choreography I or
Directing I or
Musical Theatre Score Study
|TH 490 or
|Theatre History I or
Musical Theatre Opiton:
|MM 105||Aural Skills I||1|
|MM 106||Aural Skills II||1|
|MU 151 and
|Functional Piano I and
Functional Piano II (or test equivalent)
(1 credit x 2 semesters)
|MU 327/TH 317||Voice for the Stage||3|
|MU 328/TH 318||Musical Theatre Performance I||3|
|MU 428/TH 418||Musical Theatre Performance II||3|
(1 credit x 2 semesters)..................2
To be selected from:
|MU 394||University Choir and/or|
|MU 389||Choral Union|
|MP 101/TH 102||(1 credit x 2 semesters)||2|
|MP 301/TH 302||(1 credit x 2 semesters)||2|
|MP 401/TH 402||(1 credit x 2 semesters)||2|
|TH 316||Acting II||3|
|TH 416||Acting III||3|
Select 12 credits
(6 of which must come from 300-400 upper level courses) from:
|DA 186||Beginning Jazz Dance||1|
|DA 130||Ballroom Dance||1|
|DA 146||Swing Dance||1|
|DA 211||Ballet I||2|
|DA 226||Jazz Dance I||2|
|DA 236||Tap Dance I||2|
|DA 326||Jazz Dance II||2|
|DA 336||Tap Dance II||2|
|DA 426||Jazz Dance III||2|
|DA 436||Tap Dance III||2|
|DA 486||Jazz Dance IV||2|
|DA 496||Tap Dance IV||2|
|TH 321||Stage Combat I||3|
|TH 431||Stage Combat II||3|
NOTE: Level III & IV dance technique classes may be repeated multiple times, each for credit as a substitute for lower level dance technique classes.